Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It never rains, but pours

So, just when we thought things were moving calmly, smoothly along and the world was finally going to slow down a bit, it all comes crashing to a halt. On Satuday night I got a call from Mom that Dad had been in an accident. I know what you're thinking- oh, no: THE CALL. That's it, they only call when it's REALLY BAD. Which is exactly what I was thinking. Then Mom continued: "He was riding the three-wheeler..." Ok, stop. Again, I know what you're thinking- "Really? A Three wheeler? How old are her parents again? And I thought it was a real accident." Which is exactly what I was thinking. What was my dad doing racing around on a three wheeler at night? Well, I know my dad, so it wasn't that much of a stretch. But really, how much trouble could someone get into on a three wheeler? You can tell I've been out of the fields for a while, because it turns out- quite a bit!

So Dad was racing the dog (you have to know us for this to not sound funny) from the river back home. According to him, he was winning, which is probably important to the story. :) But, he hit a groundhog hole and went flying. Luckily for us, a neighbor saw the accident and rushed to his aid- put him in an ambulance and then contacted my mom. But, Dad did quite a number to himself- a broken collarbone, a broken rib (or ribs), a bruised spleen, a concussion, and a punctured lung. He's been in the hospital since Saturday night and everyone is hoping for his release tomorrow. But, he'll probably be out of the crane for a while- and most disappointing to me, no driving to Oregon! But that is a selfish way of looking at it. I am just grateful to God (and our neighbor) for watching out for my father and bringing him back to us alive- perhaps slightly slower for a while- but back to himself soon. Dad has never been anything but the healing force for all of us, so I am sure that he will use some of that strength to bring himself back to the fun loving, green-horse-riding, three-wheeler-racing guy we all know and love.

As if this weren't enough for us all to deal with, we got another call this morning that Grandma Kempf was in the hospital again- she had a fall that is still unexplained. Her head hurt her pretty bad but the doctors don't believe it was a stroke or anything that caused the fall. She's going to be in overnight for observation, but hopefully will go home tomorrow too.

In the midst of all this craziness, God is still faithful! Dad and Grandma will (hopefully) both be ok eventually, and people are pouring out of the woodwork with helps and prayers. And my massage clients have been very forgiving of my slight distractedness while I'm working. (I hope.) :) And instead of Dad driving out here to see Andy and I, I am flying back in May to help out a bit, hopefully play with a new baby horsie, and generally make myself feel better that my Daddy is ok. Meantime, this is how Caleb and I felt when we found out that Grandpa was sick:
Oh, but we'll make it too...Dad will be back to let furry doggie sit on his lap soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. We are so glad your Dad's gonna be okay! Andy's mom told him about Grandma the other day, too.....Bummer! I am glad she's going to be okay, too! Tell your folks hello!!! I am glad you let me know about the new site address.....I wondered where "you" went!!!!
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that your dad and grandmum are going to be ok. We will pray for them both. Thanks for the update and the new blog address.

    Douglas and Karen

    ps your dad sounds really cool! wish i knew him.

    ReplyDelete