Friday, January 30, 2009

I love laundry


I am so wierd.  I really, really enjoy doing laundry.  I know there's something wrong with me.  But it's true!  It's the one household task that I don't really mind.  (Of course, I whine and moan and generally pay somebody else to do all the others.)  But there's something about laundry that satisfies me.  I think it's because I can always finish it.  It's methodical, it's not messy, and when it gets done, it's DONE.  I love that.

And it's a good thing I love it, too, considering basically my entire life is laundry.  Clothes, sheets, clothes, sheets, clothes, sheets, sheets, sheets, sheets.  

So a couple Christmases ago, Mom and Dad outfitted me with all sorts of awesome stuff from IKEA to make my tiny laundry room work better.  Now my laundry room looks like this:
Those bins on the left are on wheels, so I can roll them in and out and around the room as much as I want.  Very handy, since the room is so small.  The silver racks on the wall can either be folded up against the wall so they don't take up any space while I'm not using them, or they can come out and be used as drying racks.  And of course, my favorite, Otto the Octopus hangs from the shelves.  (Otto's legs also fold up so he's this funny pear shape when I don't need to use his clothespins.  

So that's what my room usually looks like.  But when I get back from a long vacation, it looks like this:

Every space, bin, rack, basket, and extra rack in use.  It's a huge mess.  (Five points to the first person to name that shirt with the "11" on it... c'mon, Middlebury, you know you can do it!  Mom, you can't play.)  And when I'm done, the laundry looks like this:
So full it requires a furniture dolly to move my basket of clothes!

And not to be undone, Andy needs a furniture dolly to move his computer:
...which really IS that heavy.  Our friends call it the Concorde because of the marvelous noise it makes when starting up.

And just in case you missed that oh-so-pathetic dog in the background of the picture, here's what Caleb does while Andy and I work on our computers and laundry:

And sadly... we let him.  

Gotta go fold some laundry.

7 comments:

  1. For the record...laundry is never done...not when you have 3 boys. I've actually had nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes. It never goes away. But even though it's ongoing, there's always that spot where you CAN break from it... like waiting for the cycle to end, or building up a big enough pile of dirty clothes.

    I guess I probably have a few more breaks than you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bringing my laundry to your house from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can come over anytime if you run out of laundry! Oh, and that #11 shirt is easy - except that I can't remember the Chargers ever having red in their numbers - and I'm not sure who #11 is. Easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you're SO way off on #11!! But even if you were close, I would never bother to wash something that had already been infected with Charger-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jozi! Love the laundry room..especially Otto. Can you come over and organize mine? Ugh. The lint on the floor, the Tide drips that end up getting wiped up with dirty clothes (makes sense right?)...what a mess!

    Love the idea of making the boys clothes into quilts. I wonder if there is someone who does that? (Speaking of Home Ec..that's where my sewing 'skills' started and ended!)

    Fun to follow your blog. Don't you just love the internet for catching up with everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love that octopus thingy. Did you get that at IKEA, too? I am so glad you can finish laundry. Ours NEVER gets done!!!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete